Tuesday, November 2, 2010

the curtain has fallen

he curtain has fallen

From my room, my penthouse view, I can see nothing. The curtain of rain is metaphorically and visually drawing this journey to a close. The sound of the rain on the roof serves as thunderous applause to time well spent.

I look at my bag and think of the rain jacket I have not yet needed and sigh as I unpack what I just packed for the last time. In shorts, flip flops, tshirt and hat I zip up my rain jacket to walk to the chiropractor to help relive my sciatic nerve before tomorrows flight.

It feels good to be going home. And I am glad to be leaving from where it all began: medellin.

My Spanish is much improved, but that's not hard to believe as I was limited to I want, I need, I have and I am when I arrived. In maslow's hierarchy these verbs could lead to a sufficient existence but not a satisfying or exciting one.

I knew no one but had friends of friends who took me in. I am staying with one and will meet the others for a farewell dinner. When I invited them for sushi it was 85 degrees. In the cold rain outdoor seating is a little less inviting.

In Colombia I have seen some of the craziest lightning of my life. Right now I do not see it but the roar of the thunder leaves me little doubt of the intensity of the show.

In some regards I am sad to leave. Although I am ready to go home I am not quite done seeing things. This creates a nostalgia for things I do not yet know. I guess it's nostalgia for the feeling of exploration.

And while I am eager for the company of people who know me well, I will miss those who will become my far flung friends from everywhere.

Today I was going to go hang gliding. Given the rain I am happy to have missed that one last adventure.

And so to work I return. Excitedly. With the closing of the curtain here today, the rain a cleansing intermission, act two of my life with bgi begins.

that BGI space, it is amazing. I never felt alone this whole time as I was constantly held by you all. in joy... aly

No comments:

Post a Comment