Sunday, April 18, 2010

high on salt

So... I have developed some travel habits that are rather uncharacteristic of my Virgo nature. I am an admitted list maker, even for cleaning my house. Daily errands. Work. Travel itineraries. I like to know times and places. I bought innumerable guide books and read for months. I made plans. The books were heavy. I left them all at home. First step out of character.

I wanted to go to Bolivia but read that for US citizens it is very difficult. All the canadian, Aussie and European friends I've made empathized with laughter the plight if the American where visas are concerned. Reciprocity.

Bolivia: 140.00$, six months of bank statements, submit photo to government, itinerary, proof of ticket to exit. Apply at consulate three weeks in advance.

Forget it. I ruled Bolivia out.

QThen I chatted with some folks. No, aly, just show up at the border with passport, copy of passport and money. They'll let you in. Don't fly, it's harder.
So while in cusco with mickey I moved my own flight back a week and did a quick Internet search for a trip to the salt flats.

Wow. One company, direct bus to La Paz, transport to Uyuni and back again. No planning for five days. Awesome!

Direct bus overbooked. I got booted off twelve hour trip and on 22 hour trip. Lame. Off a semi cama (reclining with foot rest) to Classico (semi reclining no foot rest). Last leg, 8 hours no toilet. Grrr. :)

But arrival in la Paz went smoothly and overnight to uyuni was comfortable with only six of us on a bus. Two seats fully reclined is sort of like a twin bed. I slept.

With five others at 11 am we set off on three days of sights. The salt flats.... An incredible expanse of white. A village constructed from salt blocks. And fun with the camera too! We traveled between 4500 and 5300 meters all week. The sights left us breathless in all ways. The minerals of the area color lagoons in different ways. Each lagoon supported a population of flamingos.

Food was mediocre, housing like concrete bunkers, people great fun, worth the trip and the effort??? Absolutely. I rank my salt flats tour in my top ten. So much fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment